Historic San Antonio
Historic San Antonio
Welcome to historic San Antonio. Prior to being developed, our property was home to Cementville and the Alamo Quarry. The company originally named San Antonio Portland Cement produced cement for buildings, roads and structures throughout the area. More important than the cement company were the people who worked here and the families who lived here. The company built a neighborhood where generations of families lived, worked, went to school and grew up. That neighborhood was called Cementville. Cementville became the Quarry Golf Course in 1993 and the city of San Antonio has many more site to explore. Our top picks are below.
The Alamo Mission, commonly called The Alamo. Originally known as the Misión San Antonio de Valero, is a historic Spanish mission and fortress compound founded in the 18th century by Roman Catholic missionaries in what is now San Antonio, Texas. It was the site of the Battle of the Alamo in 1836, where American folk heroes James Bowie and Davy Crockett died. Today it is a museum in the Alamo Plaza Historic District and a part of the San Antonio Missions World Heritage Site.
San Antonio Missions
On July 5, 2015, the World Heritage Committee inscribed San Antonio’s five Spanish colonial Missions on the World Heritage List. From 1718 to 1731, priests of the Franciscan Order established the San Antonio Missions. The Spanish government and the Catholic Church sent priests to Texas—then part of New Spain—to settle and protect territory claimed by the Spanish Crown. No permanent Spanish settlements existed in the area prior to the construction of the Missions. The priests were responsible for bringing the indigenous people of the region, nomadic hunter-gatherers known as Coahuiltecans, into the Missions to create viable Spanish communities.
The Spanish Governors Palace
It is the last visible trace of the 18th-century colonial Presidio San Antonio de Béxar complex, and the only remaining example in Texas of an aristocratic 18th-century Spanish Colonial in−town residence. The National Geographic Society has named the landmark “the most beautiful building in San Antonio.” The building was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1970. It is now owned by the city, and is open to the public as a museum.